Mission: Sleep Possible - Top-secret military sleep hacks for busy professionals
This technique was designed to help soldiers fall asleep quickly in any situation to minimize the risk of mistakes on the job. It puts the emphasis on alleviating muscle tension and unwinding the body, which helps activate the parasympathetic nervous system, responsible for our rest and recovery mode.
Imagine this: You're a busy professional with a jam-packed schedule, constantly striving for success in your career. You work long hours, tackle never-ending to-do lists, and manage endless responsibilities. But amidst the hustle and bustle, there's one crucial thing that often gets neglected - your sleep.
Sound familiar? If you're like many busy professionals, sleep may seem like a luxury you simply can't afford. But here's the harsh truth: skimping on sleep can have a detrimental impact on your physical health, mental well-being, and overall productivity.
But fear not, because we have a secret weapon to share with you - military-inspired sleep hacks that can revolutionise your sleep routine and help you achieve deep, restful sleep in minutes. Yes, you read that right - minutes!
The military sleep method
Introducing the "military method," a technique that's currently making waves on TikTok. This old-school trick, popularised by the U.S. army and documented in Lloyd Bud Winter's 1981 book Relax and Win: Championship Performance, promises to help you drift off to dreamland in no time. And with between 10% and 30% of adults struggling with chronic insomnia, any trick is worth trying!
So, how does it work? Well, it's simple, but it does require practice to experience its full effects - expect amazing results in just six weeks! Here's what you need to do:
- Relax your entire face, including all the muscles and your tongue, from your jaw to inside your mouth. You can even tense them up first and then let go for an extra relaxing sensation.
- Drop your shoulders to release any tension and let your hands rest by your sides.
- Take a deep exhale, relaxing your chest and focusing on your breath. Allow your legs, thighs, and calves to relax as well, letting gravity pull them down naturally.
- Clear your mind for ten seconds and imagine a soothing scene. If that doesn't work, try repeating the words "don't think" for 10 seconds.
- Within ten seconds, you should feel yourself drifting off to sleep. But even if it takes up to two minutes when you first start practising, don't give up!
This technique was designed to help soldiers fall asleep quickly in any situation to minimise the risk of mistakes on the job. It puts the emphasis on alleviating muscle tension and unwinding the body, which helps activate the parasympathetic nervous system, responsible for our rest and recovery mode.
Best of all, it's absolutely free! So why not give it a try now and experience the power of these military-inspired sleep hacks for yourself?
Other tips to help you fall asleep
Ready to take your sleep game to the next level? In addition to the tried-and-true military-inspired sleep hacks we shared earlier; we've got more tricks up our sleeves to help you catch those elusive Zzzs. Here are some of it:
- Create a bedtime routine: Establishing a consistent bedtime routine signal to your body that it's time to wind down and prepare for sleep. It could include activities such as reading a book, taking a warm bath, or practising relaxation techniques like deep breathing or meditation.
- Keep a sleep-friendly environment: Make sure your sleep environment is conducive to good sleep. Keep your bedroom cool, dark, and quiet, and invest in a comfortable mattress and pillows. Consider using blackout curtains, earplugs, or a white noise machine if needed.
- Limit screen time before bed: The blue light emitted by screens can disrupt your body's natural sleep-wake cycle. Try to avoid screens, such as smartphones, tablets, and computers, at least one hour before bedtime. Instead, engage in calming activities that don't involve screens.
- Watch what you eat and drink: Avoid heavy meals, caffeine, and alcohol close to bedtime, as they can disrupt your sleep. Opt for lighter meals and non-caffeinated beverages in the evening. Drinking herbal tea, warm milk, or chamomile tea can be soothing and help you relax before bedtime.
- Manage stress: High levels of stress can interfere with sleep. Find healthy ways to manage stress, such as practising relaxation techniques, talking to a friend or therapist, or engaging in activities you enjoy. Reducing stress can help you relax and prepare for sleep.
- Stick to a consistent sleep schedule: Try to establish a consistent sleep schedule by going to bed and waking up at the same time every day, even on weekends. This helps regulate your body's internal clock and can improve sleep quality in the long run.
- Get regular exercise: Regular physical activity can improve sleep quality, but try to avoid vigorous exercise close to bedtime, as it may increase alertness. Aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate exercise most days of the week, preferably earlier in the day.
If you find it challenging to exercise alone or need that extra motivation, consider joining a fitness class. You'll benefit from the expertise of a professional instructor and the camaraderie of like-minded individuals who are also striving to stay active. It's a fun and social way to stay on track with your fitness goals!
We understand that finding the right fitness class for you can be a challenge. And once you find the right one, keeping track of your progress and scheduling can be just as challenging.
Rezeve makes it easy to manage your classes, track your progress, and communicate with the instructors. With Rezeve, you can sign up for classes, view your progress, and receive updates all in one place. The user-friendly interface makes it easy to manage all your fitness classes, and you can access it from anywhere, at any time!
Sleep is not a luxury, but a necessity for your physical health, mental well-being, and overall productivity. By optimising your sleep, you're setting yourself up for success in all areas of your life. So, gear up, embrace these military-inspired sleep hacks, and march towards better sleep.
And don't forget, we've also shared some additional tips to help you fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer. From creating a sleep-friendly environment to establishing a soothing bedtime routine, these bonus strategies can further enhance your sleep quality.
So, go ahead, implement these powerful sleep hacks, and experience the transformation in your daily life. Say goodbye to tossing and turning, and hello to deep, restorative sleep. You've got the tools, the knowledge, and the determination to conquer your sleep challenges like a true sleep warrior. Sleep well, soldier, and wake up ready to conquer the world!
Do you want to see more content like this? Follow us on Instagram and Facebook for more wellness advice, fitness trends, workout inspiration, and even best health and fitness deals exclusive to our followers. Don’t miss out!